Saturday, September 4, 2010

City of Halifax, Nova Scotia






After my recent trip, I was planning to post at least three entries detailing what I had learned on my informative tour. But I have made an executive decision ( I'm all alone here, so I am the executive and I am allowed to make all the decisions.) My decision is to leave it alone for now.
I am overwhelmed with some pretty interesting computer challenges at the moment, and something had to give. I may get back to it later, because I am obsessed with all things Halifax at the moment and doing lots of reading . I will cite good books when I do post.
Meanwhile, if you want to read a really interesting fiction book about the Explosion in Halifax Harbour in 1917, go to the library and get "Burden of Desire" by Robert McNeill of the original McNeill/Lehrer hour. He is from that area and it is very authentic and compelling reading
Halifax is across the harbor from the town of Dartmouth . The harbor itself consists of Bedford Bay, at the nw end, the Narrows and the main area, leading out to the sea. In some ways , from a visual point of view, it reminds me of Sarasota Bay. For those familiar with this area, imagine that , once you reach the shore of Sarasota, there is a large harborfront where City island is now located and that the city streets begin to rise uphill immediately.
The same is true on the other side, making it a sort of valley with the harbor in between.
(that would be Longboat Key with the same hills.) In another way, it reminds me of Seattle, the way the town immediately slopes up steeply and houses are all on a hilly street.
So, I came away with some not very explicit photos and a great curiosity about life in this fishing and shipping port and it's significance to Canada, the U.S., and the role it played in World War II.
My words do not do it justice and until I know more about it, I will hold comment.
My photos were taken at the Citadel, atop the hill overlooking the harbor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very curious to hear all that you have learned about Halifax in your research. Such a great writer!!